Monday, December 1, 2008

Homemade Baby Food

For those of us who would like to be our own little gerber baby food I thought I would share my experiences with making baby food. It was an idea that my wife and I talked about after we found a baby food grinder at our local babies r us. It is a manual grinder that you put steamed or soft food into and then grind it with a hand crank and serve to your baby. We bought this little contraption and used it that night. Needless to say I didn't think that making homemade baby food would be as painless as it was! Our first food we tried to grind was steamed green beans. Seeing as green beans was a healthy baby food that you found in the jars to being with we thought this would be a good starting point. Some tips we learned with our first experience. Anything that gets soft after steaming is easiest. This would include carrots, squash, potatoes, beans, celery, etc.

I've looked around for baby food recipes but I'd honestly have to say that the best is pure veggies with no extras. Some recipes I've found have you add in vitamins, etc but if your still feeding by bottle (like we are) and introducing solids then your baby should be getting its vitamins from you/the bottle.

Another thing we've tried recently is when we're making ourselves dinner we keep a piece of bland meat to the side and grind this up for another good homemade baby food item. The meat that works best for us is chicken. Make sure it is thoroughly cooked and grind this up and then grind up some veggies for a good healthy meal.

So if you've been sitting on the fence about whether you should make homemade baby food or if you're looking for an easy alternative I'd highly recommend you try it for yourself!

No comments: