Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fun & Stimulating Things for You and Baby < 3 Months

As a father I was always on the lookout for some fun but mentally stimulating things for my baby. I looked feverishly online and came across a few that worked for me and I'd like to share them with you.

1. Dancing. During those times when I couldn't get her to be content nothing was more soothing for her (and a workout for dad) than putting on some music and dancing away. Sometimes I would dance to classical other times I'd blast some pop music. Either way she loved the opportunity to be up and looking around and having close contact with daddy.

2. Baby eye spy. Another soothing thing is I would either walk her around the home and show her things (pictures, the stove, plates, colorful things) or sit her down and read her picture books. I doubt she understood any of it but nothing pacified her more and kept daddy sane as I explained things to her.

3. Karaoke. Okay, I'm no American Idol or anything but she got to hear me sing when I would want to play with her. At first it was alot of baby songs. But she's also heard my terrible voice with pop songs and country songs. Either way she didn't seem to mind. Although I think she'll hate it when she's in the car with her girlfriends in a few years.

4. Peak-A-Boo/What's that? A fun game we played alot was a spin on baby eye spy. I'd take objects and if it was soft (like a towel/blanket) I'd run it down her face saying 'peek-a-boo'. If it was a toy or the TV remote I'd hold it out of her peripheral vision and bring around while excitedly yelling 'peek-a-boo'.

5. Baby Daddy time. Although it wasn't a game another soothing thing was to have some baby daddy time. I'd take off my shirt and lay her against me so she could feel my warmth and hear my heartbeat. In times when mommy wasn't available to sooth her this worked best. My pediatrician and other parents told me about this and it worked wonders.

Now that she is older some of these games we still play. With her being a little more active now I can see her learning these games too. Stay tuned for other fun games to play with your 3-6 month old!

No comments: